Found a gap in my knowledge base....

Having problems with or questions about SheetCam? Post them here.
Davek0974

Found a gap in my knowledge base....

Post by Davek0974 »

So I've nearly finished building a CNC plasma table, figured out mach3, started learning g-code, started learning 2d cad, but have found a gap in that I have no idea what to use before sheetcam.

I made a test file in libre-cad of some text in a frame, saved as DXF and it imported and ran perfectly with a pen in place of my plasma torch.

Next I wanted to convert an outline drawing into sheetcam food but can't get it to work, I've lowered it to black and white, but then can't figure out what application to use to get it to DXF output suitable for sheetcam.

Are there any preferences for software or methods?

I tried Inkscape today and it generated a file but sheetcam crashed when I tried importing it.
Les Newell
Site Admin

Post by Les Newell »

Inkscape should work. If the outline is very clean Inkscape's auto tracing may work. In general I recommend manually tracing the image in your favourite cad package. Inkscape is fairly good for this.

Could you send me the file that crashed SheetCam. SheetCam should not crash on loading a drawing.
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

It's been ok today Les, maybe the PC just needed a good reboot agter installing Inkscape earlier?

I've viewed some YouTube vids on using Inkscape and sheetcam and things are a lot clearer now.

Just got to find some time for practicing :)
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Well things were a bit clearer but I can't get Inkscape to run for more than 5 minutes without it crashing. Tried it at work and at home, same result, asked on the Inkscape forum and it seems to have issues with to many points on a path but I found it crashes regardless of what it's doing.

So back to square 1, I need a method of creating outlines of images etc.

I tried using my cad app but has no path smoothing filter etc so curves are just segmented straight lines and so on.
ArchieF

Post by ArchieF »

Have a look here : http://wiki.evilmadscientist.com/Post_p ... ace_bitmap

Perhaps you can trace smoother

Richard
Davek0974

Post by Davek0974 »

Thanks Archie but I just can't get Inkscape to run smoothly at all, there is nothing more irritating than software that crashes regularly.
kencam

Re: Found a gap in my knowledge base....

Post by kencam »

Davek0974 wrote:So I've nearly finished building a CNC plasma table, figured out mach3, started learning g-code, started learning 2d cad, but have found a gap in that I have no idea what to use before sheetcam.

I made a test file in libre-cad of some text in a frame, saved as DXF and it imported and ran perfectly with a pen in place of my plasma torch.

Next I wanted to convert an outline drawing into sheetcam food but can't get it to work, I've lowered it to black and white, but then can't figure out what application to use to get it to DXF output suitable for sheetcam.

Are there any preferences for software or methods?

I tried Inkscape today and it generated a file but sheetcam crashed when I tried importing it.

Well Dave I have just purchased sheetcam mainly for the dxf to Gcode function after using a hybrid Excel spreadsheet to strip out a two axis lathe file from a two tower hot wire foam cutting generator called Foamworks 4. I am looking to download the manual for my verion:5.0.17 and wonder if the simply called VSN 5 on the web is the latest?

Anyway if it is of any use to you I use a product
called Cadworks to make dxf files. I know it seems crude but I trace the image onto film taped to my PC screen the call up Cadworks and use the drawing package to rebuild the image using the snap function to dimension accurately and also to save problems later. In my case for the lathe I also use the grid to insert the roughing out skims for lathework. It also has a cutting path test function. Seems crude as I mentioned but I just made the cutting files for a full size five piece wooden Carafe set with the thickness of the "glass" bowls at circa 1.5mm thick.
I too have just recently completed an 800 x 800mm working flat bed machine but with alternative head assemblies: one with 100mm Z movement which holds a proprietary router and another with about 350 mm Z comprising a hollow PG tube which will enable "cliff" cutting with a 21mm ball mill or additive printing for later project work. Sheetcam will be very useful to me once I get the hang of it.
Cheers
Ken